|WHERE||Parys, Free State (125km from Jo’burg)|
|WHEN||Bookings by arrangement for family/friend groups.|
|DURATION||Two hours from meeting to getting off the water.|
|DIFFICULTY||Easy and peaceful. Flatwater only.|
|COST||R275 per person|
Take the opportunity to relish the tranquility of easy paddling on flatwater. On this two-hour Scenic Paddle Tour in Parys, enjoy the peaceful riverine scenery, listen to the rhythmic sound of your paddle on the water, spot birds and feel stress dissolve with every stroke.
Many years ago, a weir upriver of town was constructed to dam the Vaal River to feed the town’s furrows and to irrigate surrounding farms. Damming the river created a ‘lake’ almost eight kilometres long; a wonderful length of flatwater dotted by islands with an abundance of birdlife. Darters, cormorants, ducks, kingfishers, egrets, herons (Goliath, grey) and fish eagles are common sightings. If you’re lucky, you may see a river otter or leguan (large monitor lizards). No matter what the season, the paddling here is scenic and peaceful.
Our Vagabond Mazowe kayaks are perfectly suited to this tour. They are stable, comfortable and easy-to-paddle kayaks. There is no risk that you’ll fall in. Before starting, our guides will show you some basic paddling techniques. We’ll practice these on the water before setting off. No experience is necessary.
This two-hour tour can easily be fitted into your day, leaving enough time to enjoy the Parys town and surrounds. We will be delighted to recommend other activities and sights.
This lovely paddle is ideal for friends, families, book club groups and all ages (yes, even your parents!).
Whether you are here for the day or the weekend, our short, two-hour tour can easily be fitted into your Parys visit, leaving enough time to enjoy the main street shops, leisurely coffee, delicious meals and other activities.
Bookings by arrangement for family/friend groups. Please contact us directly.
NEED TO KNOW
- Arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled tour time to check-in and get yourself organised (change clothing, apply sunblock, go to the loo etc.).
- Payment for the tour must be done in advance to confirm your booking.
- Double-seater Vagabond Mazowe kayaks are provided.
- Groups with uneven numbers will be paired with a guide or assigned a single-seater kayak for the odd-person-out.
- Children are welcome. Minimum age is 6 years. Children must be on the kayak with a parent.
- Paddles, personal flotation devices (PFD, aka lifejackets), and a small drybag for your valuables are provided. The wearing of a PFD is compulsory.
- Wear comfortable clothing and footwear that can get wet i.e. sandals. You won’t get soaked, but you may get lightly splashed.
- We recommend that you use sunblock on your face, neck, arms and legs and that you wear a hat and shades on the water. Remember to bring your prescribed/allergy medication.
- Pack a towel and warm, dry clothing for afterwards.
- Paddle tours are weather dependent. Fortunately, we have very few bad-weather days. We assess the weather conditions for each outing to ensure your safety and comfort.
- Being on flatwater, it is unlike that you will get seasick. Should you be sensitive to motion sickness, please take your motion-sickness tablets before coming on the tour.
- The group stays together, with the guide, at all times. Please do not go off on your own.
- By booking a tour with us, you agree to abide by our Booking Terms & Conditions and that you will follow all instructions given by our guides. An indemnity and a COVID contact sheet must be signed at check-in.
- No-show, no refund.
- No refund will be given for cancellations received within 24 hours of the scheduled date and time of the activity.
- For cancellations received within 24-48 hours of the tour, 50% of the fee will be charged.
- Cancellations made more than 48 hours before the tour will only be charged a 10% admin fee.
- Paddle With Us reserves the right to cancel any tour should there be insufficient guests and/or unfavourable weather. We aim to give you at least 24-hours notice of cancellations. A full refund will be given.
WHAT TO BRING
Wear comfortable clothing and footwear that can get wet i.e. sandals. You won’t get soaked, but you may get splashed and your bottom could get wet. Bring sunblock, hat, shades, prescribed/allergy medication, a towel and warm, dry clothing for afterwards.
MAKE YOUR BOOKING
Adults: R275pp | Children under 12: R240pp
Please contact us directly to check availability and to confirm your booking. Remember to let us know the number of people and ages of children. You will be provided you with relevant information and banking details. Your booking will only be confirmed on confirmation of transfer.
Meet your guide at the Likkewaan Canoe Club. Please arrive at least 15 minutes before your tour’s scheduled time so that you’re ready for your guide.
The guide will introduce your group, assign you to kayaks and get you kitted up. We’ll practice some paddling basics before we head out on our beautiful tour.
Cancellation within 48 hours of the tour: 50% fee will be charged.
Cancellation within 24 hours of the tour or no-show: full fee will be charged.
Cancellation prior to 48 hours of the tour: 10% admin fee will be charged.
If we make the decision to cancel a tour because of unsafe weather, we will aim to notify you 24 hours before your scheduled tour. In the event that we cancel a tour, we will give you a full refund, which may take 4 – 7 working days to process.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Please read our booking terms.
DIRECTIONS & MAP
The beautiful Likkewaan Canoe Club is located just off the R59 on the Sasolburg side of Parys.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Do I need any paddling experience?
No. We welcome complete novices, those with a little paddle experience and those with a lot. Beginners, we look forward to introducing you to paddling and showing you the basic technique. This is a scenic tour, not a race.
Are there rapids?
No. This is a scenic section of flatwater.
Will I have to swim at all?
No. Our kayaks are stable and we are on flatwater so the likelihood of you falling in is very small. In any event, you will be wearing a lifejacket at all times.
Do you offer tours during the week?
Yes. On request and for a minimum number of 4 people.
Do you do children’s / adult’s birthday parties and other private guided tours?
Yes. The minimum number for a private booking is 4. We have a variety of tour and kayak options to cater for young children (<12), teens, families and corporate groups.
Can children come on your tours?
Yes. Children from 6 to 12 can paddle with a parent in the front seat of the double kayak. From the age of 14, children can be booked on this kayak tour without a parent having to be present on the tour. The parent will be required to sign indemnity on behalf of children under 18.
Will my mom manage this paddle?
My mom loves it. This is a scenic tour and the paddling is not taxing. As you will paddle a double-seater kayak with your mom or dad, this makes it even easier for them.